Chapter: Laws of ehram
These Actions can be performed wearing ehram
(1) Using Miswak (Twigs)
(2) Wearing Ring
Regarding the rings, it has been reported that a sahabi (a companion) once appeared at the service of His Majesty the Prophet Sallallaahuta’laalaihiwasallam had been wearing a ring of brass. The sweet Mustafa sallallahuta’laalaihiwasallam said, “ what is the matter that a stench of an idol is emanating from you?” The Companion threw the (brass) ring and appeared wearing a ring of iron. The Prophet sallallahuta’laalaihiwasallam said, “what is the matter that you are wearing the jewelry of the denizens of hell?” He threw that iron ring too and asked, “ YaRasulullahsallallahuta’laalaihiwasallam! Which type of ring should I wear?” He sallallaahuta’laalaihiwasallam said, “make a ring of silver, not exceeding one “Misqal”(SunanAbiDavood Volume 4, Page 122, hadith 4223)or less than four and a half Masha (Bahar-e-shariyatParet 16, Page 67). Whenever a ring is worn, let it be of less than four and a half Masha (one masha = 0.97 grams, now standardized) and in only one piece. Don’t wear more than one ring. There should be only one Gem, not more than that (or precious stone) adorned on this. You should not wear silver, or any other metallic ring (may it be of MadinahMunawwah) or any other metal (for example, Gold, Copper, Iron, Brass, Steel etc)more than the said measure of silve. (FaizanSunnat Modern, Page 1306).It is a sin to wear a chain of Gold, or Silver or of any other metal around the neck. Ladies could wear the chains and rings of Gold and Silver. There is no limit to the measurements of weight and number of gems for them to wear. However, it is not legally permitted for them to wear rings, chains or any other type of jewelry of the metals other than those of the Gold and Silver.
(3) Applying the Surma (Kohl) without fragrance. But the Muhrim (those who are in ihram), use of this without any necessity is not abomination to the lesser level (MakruhTanzihi).
(4) Taking bath without rubbing out the dirt from the body is permitted.
(5) Washing clothes (laundry). (But washing them in order to eradicate the lice, is haraam).
(6) Scratching the head or body slightly without breaking any hair.
(7) Using umbrella or sitting in the shade of anything.
(8) Inserting a corner of the apron in the coverlet tied around the waist.
(9) Removing the teeth.
(10) Cutting the broken nail off.
(11) Cleaning the measles or pimples that appearing on the body.
(12) Removing the hair fallen in the eyes.
(13) Killing the wicked and vicious reptiles like rat, lizard, chameleon, snake, scorpion, mosquito, fly etc.
(14) Wrapping a bandage around on any part except on the head and face. (on compulsion, bandage can be wrapped but atonement or penalty applies for this).
(15) Keeping a pillow below the head or cheek.
(16) Hiding the ears with cloth.
(17) Keeping own hand or a hand of another person on the head or on the nose. (No cloth or kerchief could be kept).
(18) Cloth falling on the beard below the chin.
(19) Taking provision package over the head is permitted but it is haraam for the gents taking the bundle of cloths over their heads. But a Muharrima i.e. a woman in ihram could take both over her head.
(20) Any eatables cooked with cardamom, cinnamon, cloves etc. and emanatestheir aroma can be had, and if any aroma splashed on the eatable not cooked but that does not divulge any aroma then that could be eaten. If the aroma is present, then that could not be eaten.
(21) Almond Oil or Coconut Oil not mixed with fragrance can be applied on the hair or on the body.
(22) Any shoe that does not hide the hard center bone joints on the feet could be used to wear. (however, it would be easy for a Muhrim to wear Hawaii chappal). (23)It is permitted to slaughtering, cutting, selling, and purchasing or consuming the domesticated cattle or pets such as camel, goat, chicken, cow etc. (All these information has been taken from “FatawaRadhviyah, Volume 10, and Bahar-e-Shariyat, Volume 1, Part 6, Pages, 1079, 1080).