Chapter: Manners of sacrifice at haj
A few important things about the sacrifice of haj
1. on the 10th of dhu al-hijja after performing rami at the jamrat al-aqabah (The elder shaitan) visit the Slaughter house and offer sacrifice. This is not the sacrificewhich is being offered in bakr eid but it is an obligatory offer with thanks from the qaarin and mutamattea, though the person may be a beggar. for a mufrid, this sacrificeis a recommended one (mustahab) though he may be a wealthy person.
2. Here too the same conditions become applicable as to the animal slaughtered on bakr eid. (Bahar-e-shariyat, Volume:1, part 6, Page 1140).
3. Check the animal minutely because nowadays, most of the animals available here have their ears split and cut. If the ear is cut for more than 1/3 part, then the sacrificeis not complete. If the ear is cut less than 1/3 part, or only has a split or a hole has been made, the sacrificeof such animals would be permissible and granted with small defects, but that would amount to makruh (abominable).
4. If possible, slaughter with your own hands. that is sunnah. (Bahar-e-Shariyat, Volume 1, Part 6, Page 1141). you can also assign another person to slaughter.
5. The sacrificeof camel is better, since our Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wasallam had done nhar (slaughtered) 63 camels by his own hands, during the hajjatul wida’. (stabbing with an arrow (or a knife) at the end part of the throat and cutting the necessary veins is being called ‘nhar’). Doing nhar to camels and slaughtering cows, sheep, goats etc. is sunnah. If sacrificeis done in reverse order that is if camel is slaughtered and nhar is done on the cow, sheep, goats etc. in such cases the animal is halaal but it is an act of makruh (abominable) and against sunnah. (Alamgiri, Durr eMukhtar). The widely spoken information amongst the masses regarding the slaughter of camel done at three points is wrong and doing this way is an act of makruh (abominable) and amounts to torture to the animal. (Bhar-e-Shariyat, Part 15, Page 115)
6. Slaughtering on 10th of Dhu al-hijja is better. This could be done on 11th and 12th of Dhu al-hijja too. But on the 12th of Dhu al-hijja the time of sacrificeends at the sun set.